Vous devez être inscrits pour utiliser les forums d'armenews.com

Vous n'êtes pas identifié.

Annonce

Tout message posté sur ce forum engage la responsabilité civile et pénale de son auteur. Les messages racistes, homophobes, etc... sont donc interdits !

#1 08-11-2008 23:29:18

poilagratter
@rmenaute
Darkness to reunite with the hope of light

Saturday, January 19, 2008

The Turkish Daily News has prepared an exclusive report for the first anniversary of the assassination of Turkey?s prominent journalist Hrant Dink, editor-in-chief of Turkish-Armenian bilingual weekly Agos. The report aims to shed light, from various perspectives, on the political process prior to Dink?s assassination, a notorious turning point in Turkey?s Republican history. Below, the reader will find both Armenian and Turkish intellectuals discussing the assassination of Dink. And 'Darkness will reunite with light one day, that?s for certain,' Rakel Dink, Hrant?s wife, says in an exclusive interview to the TDN

VERCİHAN ZİFLİOĞLU
ISTANBUL - Turkish Daily News

Rakel Dink: ?Darkness will reunite with light one day, and that's for certain'

It was a gloomy morning one year ago today, on Jan. 19, 2007, that Hrant Dink, journalist and founding editor-in-chief of Turkish-Armenian bilingual weekly Agos, was murdered in front of his newspaper's building in central Istanbul.

Rumors and disputes over behind-the-scenes connections to the assassination and the subsequent trial continue, though Fethiye Çetin, attorney for the Dink family, points out that there are still no signs of notable progress in the case despite the fact that evidence of assassination is clear. Turkish intellectuals note that Dink's murder was the latest in a line dating back to assassinations of prominent figures in the history of Turkish press such as Abdi İpekçi, Uğur Mumcu and Ahmet Taner Kışlalı.

With this special report on the first anniversary of Dink's assassination, the Turkish Daily News explores, by tracing back to the initial days when Dink began his bilingual newspaper project, the genesis of weekly Agos and its adventure as a newspaper in Turkey since that time.

The TDN also reveals the connection between Patriarch Mesrob II ? leader of the Armenian Apostolic community in Turkey ? and weekly Agos. The report explores whom Dink talked with on the phone only 15 minutes before he was murdered. Mıgırdiç Margosyan, Armenian-origins writer and retired teacher whose books are translated into dozens of languages, told the TDN about Dink's years in an orphanage when he was one of his pupils there.

The TDN spoke to many prominent intellectuals and writers: Fethiye Çetin, attorney in the Dink case; Etyen Mahçupyan, current editor-in-chief of weekly Agos; Harutyun Şeşetyan, one of co-founders and Agos' No. 2 partner; Karin Karakaşlı, who was put on trial, but later acquitted, based on Article 301 of the Turkish Penal Code (TCK) because of her remarks on Dink's disputed article on Armenian identity when she was the responsible editor of Agos (All Turkish newspapers have a ?responsible editor? who is personally liable for any violations of Turkish media law); Taha Akyol, deputy chairman of the executive board of CNN-Türk and columnist at daily Milliyet; Diran Lokmagözyan, artist, author and civil society activist from Armenia; Ragıp Zarakolu, writer, founder of Turkey's Human Rights Association and owner of Belge Publications, and Murat Belge, writer and professor of comparative literature at Istanbul Bilgi University.

How was Agos born?

?The birth of Agos was due to the fact that a large segment of Armenians in Turkey do not speak the Armenian language, ? said Şeşetyan. ?Armenian newspapers Jamanag (Time) and Marmara, both published in the Armenian language, were not sufficient as papers to meet the needs of the Armenian community in Turkey since both dailies were reporting news and events only within the Armenian community.?

Şeşetyan said a large portion of Armenians in Turkey could not read Jamanag and Marmara simply because of their limitations in their mother language. Şeşetyan said: ?There used to be no institutions providing information about the Armenian community to the national press therefore applications were made to the patriarchate.? He said when Mesrop II Mutafyan was Arkyebisgobos (Metropolite) in 1993, he called Dink, Anna Turay, former staff member of daily Cumhuriyet, and attorney Luiz Bakar in order to form a press council at the patriarchate. ?Dink used to deal with trade in the south and also had a bookstore. I was a member of the board of directors of Surp Pırgiç Armenian Hospital in the Yedikule district of Istanbul. Bakar was an attorney at the time. Only Turay was a journalist among us,? Şeşetyan said, noting that they formed a press council of the patriarchate in 1994. The council, headed by Mutafyan, responded to questions and demands conveyed to it during a period of two years after its formation. Şeşetyan said it was then that a noticeable sense of curiosity about the Armenian community living in Turkey gradually grew in the national media.

At that point, the press council, gathering under the leadership of then Metropolite Mutafyan, decided to publish a newspaper in Turkish to reach Armenians who do not speak or read Armenian and to introduce Armenian culture and Armenian people to Turkish society. Before its name was chosen, the prospective newspaper was initially proposed as a supplement of the daily Marmara, whose editor-in-chief was Rober Haddeciyan, and the supplement would be in Turkish. However, Marmara's editorial board did not approve of producing a supplement in Turkish. Then, the idea of publishing a newspaper in Turkish was suspended for a while, Şeşetyan said. But it was suggested again by Dink in the summer of 1995. ?Hrant closed up his shops, assigned his businesses in Istanbul to his brothers and spent all the money he had acquired on the newspaper. And Turay, Bakar and I became the joint owners of the paper that would later be named Agos,? he said. 

Armenian community canceled ads:

?We decided it would be a magazine-like weekly newspaper since it was not quite possible to report news every single day from a community of only 50,000 members,? Şeşetyan said. Then, Rupen Maşoyan, both an Istanbul resident and an Armenian writer, named the weekly ?Agos.' The word ?Agos' in Armenian refers to a hollow dug in soil to sow a seed. ?Water flowing into a hollow shapes the seed in it to help it grow. That is how the name of the newspaper we created became Agos,? he said.

?We wanted Agos to have an opposing voice and that voice had to defend truths. The paper's idea originally belonged to Mutafyan but we asked him to remain distant from the newspaper after he was elected patriarch. Our aim was to separate earthly from ethereal because a newspaper should have no connections with religion or the patriarchate,? Şeşetyan said, emphasizing that different points of view that emerged during the foundation process of Agos stimulated tension between Dink and the patriarchate later on. He said Patriarch Mesrob II (Mutafyan) even warned Dink about his articles and, during the process, advertisements given to Agos by Armenian community institutions were canceled upon a decision by the patriarchate.

National press supports Agos:

?The first edition of Agos was published in April 1996. We rented a miserable flat without a toilet or a kitchen in the Dolapdere neighborhood,? Şeşetyan said, adding that they received great support from the national press regarding issues ranging from page layout to logo design. ?We presented Agos to the Armenian community with a cocktail party held at the Turkish Journalists Association (TGC),? he said, underlining that the association did not charge any money. He said when they had problems in terms of printing Agos due to lack of sufficient financial resources, the biggest support came from the daily Cumhuriyet. Then, Agos launched a subscription campaign. In the initial years, 20 percent of the subscribers were outside of the Armenian community, Şeşetyan said, noting that Agos began receiving its first obituaries from the Armenian community only two years after it was founded. ?Then, Turay and Dink began to pay attention to Agos' publication policy while Bakar undertook the task of managing internal affairs with the Armenian community. And I was responsible for editing. Then, in order to follow the weekly's official matters, Diran Bakar, an attorney from the Armenian community, Sarkis Seropyan and Harut Özer joined the founding partners, who were four at the beginning.?

Footsteps of murder:

?Except Turay, we were all new to learning journalism and Hrant adapted himself to his new job very well. He spent almost all his time on the weekly. We had to take care of our own jobs, too. A large part of Agos' capital belonged to Hrant and me,? Şeşetyan said, adding, ?Hrant's name gradually began to be identified with the Agos name.? He said Dink and he thought at the beginning that Agos could survive only two years. Şeşetyan said the Armenian diaspora also welcomed Agos.

Şeşetyan, who described the Agos of 2000 almost as a nongovernmental organization (NGO), said both national and international press organs paid great attention to Dink and Agos. It was when Dink began to appear in the media that they embarked on a journey of no return, he said, pointing out that threats against the weekly also became frequent during that period. Şeşetyan noted it was also during that process that some fellow partners broke with Agos due to controversial opinions about Agos' publishing policy. ?Some partners warned Hrant that he should write more moderate and softer articles. It was felt that a dangerous turning point was approaching. Press interest as well as some external factors prompted Hrant to write articles with more profound meaning and content. He started analyze more deeply. He expressed his ideas about the sad events that took place in 1915. The die was cast from then on,? he said. According to Şeşetyan, threats against Agos became even more frequent after 2000. He said Dink had said to them, ?I do not want to drag you into danger with me. If you wish, you may leave Agos.? Şeşetyan argued that a disputed news story published in Agos on the true identity of Turkey's first female aviator Sabiha Gökçen was manipulated in order to turn public opinion against Dink.

?Hrant wanted to live as an ordinary individual in society. He never, not even for a moment, thought of leaving Turkey. Yes, he was worried but the idea of being murdered never ever crossed his mind. He did not welcome the idea of having a bodyguard,? Şeşetyan said. Dink said he had not found the trials he faced during cases filed against him democratic enough, Şeşetyan added. He said, ?even though Hrant delegated his work and dealt with some other business, he never broke his ties with Agos,? adding, ?If Jan. 19 had not happened, Dink would have realized his new project related to Agos.?

Plans for change:

Etyen Mahçupyan, who was assigned new editor-in-chief of Agos the day after Dink was murdered, said they had been preparing plans for changes in Agos. Two close friends worked on a draft plan for Agos during a whole year. ?Hrant was thinking that Agos's mission was completed,? said Mahçupyan, adding that the necessary bridges between Turkish and Armenian society had been established.   

Mahçupyan said he started moving step by step toward Hrant's project. ?I did not have time to think about whether I should take over as editor-in-chief of Agos,? he said, noting that the idea came from the Dink family and that it was not possible for him to deny their request. Mahçupyan, announcing that they will be following Agos' mission shaped at the time of its foundation, said even though his name is officially referred to as editor-in-chief at Agos, that role will gradually be divided among younger names. 

?Election atmosphere triggered murder':

Mahçupyan noted although Dink sometimes thought of leaving Turkey only for a while, he never implemented that idea. He said, ?Hrant could not live away from Turkey.? Dink had told Mahçupyan shortly before his assassination that 2007 would be a difficult year for Agos. Mahçupyan, drawing attention to a recent trend where nationalists have begun opposing the Recep Tayyip Erdoğan-led Justice and Development Party (AKP) because of its pro-European Union stance, said, ?Hrant was thinking 2007 would be a breaking point because of general elections and it so happened. Those circles that sought to drag Turkey into turmoil amid an election atmosphere perpetuated the assassination of Hrant. The occurrence of this assassination in 2007 has profound meaning in that sense.? Mahçupyan told the TDN that despite assassinations becoming more frequent from one year before the Dink's murder, necessary protective measures were not taken. Mahçupyan, describing the Armenian society in Turkey as a ?small Ottoman community,? said Turkey's Armenians, uncomfortable and cautious, became even more introverted after Dink's assassination.

Mahçupyan noted that Armenians living in Turkey are divided into two parts in terms of their opinions on the Dink assassination. ?For some Armenians, Dink was ultra-brave. According to them, it was inevitable that such events would hit those who never refrained from voicing their opinion loudly. Rather, they thought what should be done was to remain silent. Examples of that exist in history. Other Armenians never accepted his assassination and openly expressed their reaction. Armenian youth never hesitated to express their reaction and opinions immediately after the assassination. They said they were also present and living in Turkey,? Mahçupyan said. He added Agos' aim was to create communication between Turks and Armenians and Dink achieved that mission.

Fifteen minutes to murder:

Karin Karakaşlı, former responsible editor of Agos, and Mahçupyan are the last people who talked on the phone with Dink. Mahçupyan called Dink 15 minutes before he was assassinated and the two close friends had a conversation on horse races, something they placed bets on together. Mahçupyan said, ?it was just an ordinary day, Hrant was cheerful when he was speaking. He did not tell me that he was going to go to the bank. News that he was shot came 15 minutes after we talked on the phone. My partner whom we used to place bets on horse races together everyday was not there anymore and that was incredible.?

Dink talked on the phone with Karakaşlı before he talked to Mahçupyan. Dink's call to Karakaşlı ended after he told her that he would call her again later in the day. Dink wanted Karakaşlı to resume writing columns in Agos. Karakaşlı said, ?the Dink assassination and its trial process harmed my sense of justice.? Karakaşlı's Agos adventure started when she was 23. Karakaşlı, who used to write columns in Agos upon Dink's request, underwent a trial based on Article 301 of the Turkish Penal Code (TCK) because of Dink's article on Armenian identity and she was acquitted. Karakaşlı, who was also responsible editor of Agos at the time, said, ?Dink was in fact criticizing diaspora Armenians when he used the disputed words of ?poisonous blood' in his article. A court expert who read Dink's series of articles reached the same conclusion, and that was recorded. I was acquitted because responsible editors were not tried as required under press law, but I did not feel happy about it. It would be unfair to mention my experience when how much Hrant suffered is taken into consideration.?

Karakaşlı, stressing that Dink was heartbroken for being misunderstood, said, ?what remained in my mind about Dink is his image as a heartbroken man pacing back and forth in his office room. He loved this country and being misunderstood was depleting him day by day.? Karakaşlı returned to Agos in 2006, just after Dink's assassination and resumed writing her columns. ?Not seeing Hrant gives me pain. I am afraid to speak of my memories and recall them. Telling about my memories means I accept Hrant's death and I just cannot stand it,? she said. ?A few years ago, if I had been asked to sacrifice my life in exchange for the lifting of Article 301, I would have done it, but nothing is meaningful anymore because Hrant was murdered,? she said.

Condemning the murder with a Turkish-Muslim identity:

Pointing out that Dink's tough tone in his articles caused tension, Taha Akyol, deputy chairman of the executive board of CNN-Türk and columnist at daily Milliyet, said he had talked to Dink about the issue: ?When I told him I found his tone in his articles harsh and some of his views tough, he responded: ?You have perceived them as such, however, my articles are quite understandable. I do not think that I write with a harsh tone.'? Akyol, noting political views should be expressed in a more moderate tone rather than one infuriating social polarization and hostility among different segments of society, said although he sometimes thought of criticizing Dink's articles, he refrained. Akyol explained his reason: ?I did not want to cause tension between Armenian-origins and Turkish-origins citizens. If I had criticized Dink's articles, I would have contributed to that tension, though unwillingly. And I refrained.? Akyol said, although he was critical of Dink's articles, he always cited Dink and mentioned his name with praise because of his neutral stance toward the diaspora. He said he did not carry the banner that read, ?We are all Hrant Dink, We are all Armenians,? the slogan chanted by crowds that had gathered after Dink's assassination.

Akyol argued Dink was assassinated not because of his Armenian identity but because of his views. ?Just like Abdi İpekçi, Uğur Mumcu and many others, Dink was also assassinated because of his political views. I do not think that there is a difference between the assassinations in terms of their nature,? he said.

Armenia's view of the murder:

For Akyol, a vital prerequisite for the establishment of the Turk-Armenian peace Dink wished to see before he died is solution of the Nagorno-Karabagh issue. The Nagorno-Karabagh conflict broke out when Armenia invaded and occupied the majority-Armenian populated Azerbaijani territory in 1991. Akyol said, ?I stand for the establishment of peace between the two peoples, Armenians and Turks, but it is a fact that there is a present occupation problem that urgently needs to be solved. I am not sure about the soundness of the idea that bilateral relations between Turkey and Armenia could develop given the situation.?

Writer, artist and civil society activist, Lokmagözyan, who was born in Istanbul but later migrated to Armenia, said, ?borders between the two countries will not be opened unless radical changes take place in regional and international politics. The essential problem between the two countries is not one related to borders but lack of healthy diplomatic relations.? Lokmagözyan said despite Dink not being known well enough in Armenia, his assassination is perceived as a continuation of alleged genocide in Armenia. That is to say, people of Armenia perceive Dink's assassination as killing of ?1,500,000 plus 1,'? Lokmagözyan said.

Armenia wants the World War 1-era killings of Armenians in the Ottoman Empire termed as genocide, whereas Turkey refutes that the killings amounted to genocide and has suggested a joint commission of historians to research the matter.

?Hrant was not murdered for being an Armenian nationalist. For some segments of society in Turkey, Hrant himself was a danger because he used to work for democratization of Turkey and for contributing to Turkey becoming a country respectful of human rights,? Lokmagözyan said. According to Lokmagözyan, some circles in Turkey perceive democracy as being more dangerous than Armenian nationalists. ?The hundreds of thousands of people pouring into streets to protest and condemn Dink's assassination immediately after it occurred was only a tiny consolation. I was hopeful when I saw so many people chanting and standing up for Hrant but those hundreds of thousands were like flash in the pan after a sudden flame.?

Lokmagözyan said just like the majority of Turks, most Armenians too did not stand up for Hrant before he was murdered. ?Armenians in Turkey used to think they would loose their comfort as Hrant kept voicing his ideas loudly. They just left Hrant alone to face so many threats in the middle of a minefield,? he said. Lokmagözyan said Agos' tone changed after Jan. 19, 2007, and argued that weekly has been recently applying self-censorship. ?I was born in Istanbul, grew up in Germany, and preferred to live in Armenia,? he said. ?They used to call me filthy gavur (infidel) in Turkey and filthy Turk in Germany. Armenia is the only country where I can be free of all these degradations,? he concluded.

Dink and Belge planned US visit:

Professor Murat Belge, a writer and academic who argues that Turkey is part of a geography where nationalism is felt deeply and practiced in a radical way, said some forces in Turkey fear the country's becoming a member of the EU. The reason is that some segments of society have a phobia that they will lose the power in their hands in case Turkey integrates with the EU. They first saw communism as a threat, Belge said, adding, ?they said Islamic fundamentalism was marching to power with the AKP's victory in the elections. On the other hand, the Kurdish issue was perpetually put forward and, thus, they created an image of Turkey constantly surrounded by danger. They said the EU wants to divide us. Some forces manipulated those discourses and in that way they legitimized their very way of existence. What they did was to create a nationalist atmosphere.?

Belge stressed that Dink assassination was also a part of that recent tendency. ?Hrant was the voice of minority. He rebuilt the bridges between Armenians and Turks. But there were those who never wanted the establishment of peace between Turks and Armenians. For them, Hrant had to be eliminated,? he said. ?I spent most of my life thinking if I will be murdered,? said Belge, adding, ?since I myself am a minority in this country because of my thoughts.? Dink and Belge had made a joint decision before Dink's murder. They were going to the United States to hold a conference on the Armenian issue at the University of Michigan. Belge said Dink was assassinated before they carried out their plan. For Belge, Turkey currently is faced with several problems, among which the Armenian issue that followed the 1915 events comes in first place.

News about Sabiha Gökçen ?trap':

Ragıp Zarakolu, writer, and founder of the Human Rights Association in Turkey and owner of Belge Publications, said, ?We, as the entire society, should have protected Hrant.? His comments on the Dink assassination are: ?Forced migration in 1915 was initially applied to Armenian intellectuals. 1915 corresponds to the contemporary date of Jan. 19, 2007 in terms of what was experienced. With the Dink case, I recalled the notorious events that occurred in the past.? Zarakolu noted they as human rights advocates and writers' associations tried to protect Dink against threats. He said they submitted a petition to the public prosecutor in 2004 and were able to file a small-scale lawsuit related to threats against Dink and Agos. But that case was not sufficient, he said. Zarakolu said, ?I never ever even had the slightest idea in my mind that Hrant might be murdered, that they would go that far,? and underlined that it is not forgivable that Dink was not provided protection despite all the threats against him.

Zarakolu continued that he as a Turkish intellectual was ashamed of the manipulation of being Armenian as an instrument of insult. ?An unlucky allegory,? is how he described Dink's disputed article on Armenian identity since the article is thought to have triggered Dink's murder. ?Dink criticized Armenian nationalists with his description of ?poisonous blood,' but unfortunately the IQ level in this country was not taken into account,? Zarakolu said.

Zarakolu drew the attention to a news story on Turkey's first female aviator Sabiha Gökçen, also foster daughter of Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, founder of the Republic of Turkey. The story was published in Agos. Zarakolu argued that the process of pressures on Dink started with the publication of that news story in Agos and described it as a ?trap,? though he did not explain the reason why he used such a metaphor. Zarakolu said, ?Official history in Turkey takes a narrow minded view. The issue could have been approached from different perspectives. After founding the Turkish Language Institution (TDK), Atatürk consigned it to Hagop Vahram Çerçiyan of Armenian origins. Again, he gave the surname ?Dilaçar' to Mr. Çerçiyan. It is possible to cite more examples. It is really very hard to perceive what is being experienced these days,? he said.

For Zarakolu, Dink's mission is similar to that of Martin Luther King's. ?King tried to build bridges between the colored people and the rest of American society. Hrant did the same. He also expended great effort to build a similar bridge between Turks and Armenians. Both King and Dink paid the cost of that mission with their life. I wish no bridges built in the name of peace are destroyed from now on, but, unfortunately Hrant was neither the first nor will he be the last one,? Zarakolu said.

Dink's orphanage years:

Dink was born in the central Anatolian province of Malatya in 1954. His parents divorced immediately after they moved to Istanbul. Left on his own, Dink was placed in an orphanage in the historic Gedikpaşa quarter of Istanbul. Dink continued his education at Armenian community schools. He completed his secondary education at Surp Haç Tıbrevank Armenian Boarding High School in the Üsküdar (Scutari) district of Istanbul. Turkish-Armenian writer Mıgırdiç Margosyan, who was Dink's teacher when he was a pupil at the orphanage, told the TDN about Dink's personality. Margosyan said, ?The effect of the years spent at the orphanage on Dink's personality cannot be denied. He hungered for a family. He was an overly sentimental little boy, but a quiet and calm one. He never caused any problems. He felt thoroughly all the pain and happiness inside and was not able to control his emotions. And that character of him did not change when he grew up and became an adult. Hrant was a humanist and always stood for the oppressed.?

?A year has passed since that macabre day, but I will never be able to accept my son Hrant's death,? he said. Margosyan noted when Dink was asked what kind of a feeling living in Turkey was, his reply was always, ?It is wonderful and I recommend it to you all.? Living in Turkey is not easy, Margosyan said, recalling that Dink never wanted protection for himself despite all the threats against him. ?Those who are ashamed are those who are guilty and have complexes. Hrant never considered himself as guilty of anything. Indeed, he was so passionately fond of his freedom that he could not live with guards,? he said.

Agos has never deserved Dink's murder, Margosyan said, expressing his emotions. ?Hrant was a brave individual trying to build bridges of friendliness and peace between Turks and Armenians,? he said, pointing that Turkey's Armenians, already on alert during the process following Dink's assassination, are now hesitated about leaving or staying in Turkey. But above all, Margosyan said, a family has been broken up. He also described reports in national press in recent months that Arad Dink had escaped to Belgium as pure speculation. ?Those who find Arad's departure of this country useful for themselves would definitely accuse him of escaping from Turkey, even if he goes for holiday. This is a matter of approach. It should not be forgotten that Hrant preferred to stay in Turkey despite all threats. He never left the country he was born,? Margosyan concluded.

Not hopeful for the future:   

Çetin said the state's principle duty is to provide security to all its citizens. She noted she became attorney for Dink in 2004 and said, ?No precautions were taken though the approaching of Dink's assassination was felt openly.?

Çetin told the TDN about the legal process following Dink's assassination. She made the following claims: ?The instigators of Hrant's assassination are from Trabzon's Pelitli region. It is a region controlled by the gendarmerie. An investigation into this issue has been launched. Before the assassination, Coşkun Yiğici, the husband of the suspected instigator Yasin Hayal's aunt, had told gendarmerie things like he was paid and he purchased a gun. Only two junior gendarmerie officials were tried within the framework of the investigation. That trial indicates the gendarmerie had information about the issue. If Yiğici had conveyed that information to the gendarmerie, this might mean the provincial head of the gendarmerie was also aware of it. Even though they were junior gendarmerie officials, the fact that they were sued means the Trabzon Gendarmerie Command and gendarmerie intelligence in Ankara also know about the issue. The most important point here is that even though all this was known by those authorities, no precautions were taken to protect Dink.?

Çetin also claimed those people, who are still in office, are also the ones submitting documents to inspectors and prosecutors leading the investigation about Dink assassination. For Çetin, given all this, it is not possible to talk about a just trial. Underlining the fact that evidence of the Dink assassination is crystal clear, Çetin said court verdicts on the issue are brief and without justification. Çetin said revealing the dark connections in the Dink assassination is crucial in terms of Turkey's future. That will pave the way for a legal system based on just, equal and independent treatment of all citizens, she said, adding Arad Dink and Sarkis Seropyan were put on trial after publishing a news story titled ?Investigation launched into Hrant Dink? in Agos. Çetin said although the national press ran that story, no newspaper other than Agos was sued. According to Çetin, the Agos case violates Article 3 of the Penal Code, which states no discrimination based on religion, language, race, and sex can be made when citizens are on trial. But this was violated, Çetin said. For her, the green light for the Dink assassination was given in 2004 and Dink was shown as the target. She said Dink kept his cool despite all the threats, but only death threats against his son Arad appalled him. Çetin said Dink never reported any of the threats he received to officials.

-----

Rakel Dink, Hrant Dink's wife

Rakel Dink called out to both the Turkish press and the world press through an exclusive interview with the Turkish Daily News and shared her thoughts about her late husband: ?Hrant never thought of leaving Turkey despite many threats because he could not have lived somewhere other than Turkey. His path was one toward friendliness and peace. Unfortunately, he is not with us anymore. I believe darkness will one day reunite with light.?

Etyen Mahçupyan, editor-in-chief of Agos

Mahçupyan discussed his and Dink's plan for changing Agos with the TDN. ?Agos was definitely going to continue reporting news on the Armenian community, but the main aim was to turn Agos into a national newspaper with a look at Turkey overall. Agos was going to be Turkey's newspaper.?

Taha Akyol, deputy chairman of executive board of CNN-Türk and columnist at daily Milliyet

?I did not carry that banner because I did not necessarily have to say I am Armenian to commemorate someone assassinated because he was an Armenian. I condemned the murder with my Turkish-Muslim identity.?

Harutyun Şeşetyan, co-founder and Agos' joint partner

?Patriarch (Mesrop) Mutafyan even warned Dink about his articles and, in the process, advertisements by Armenian community institutions given to Agos were canceled upon a decision by the Patriarchate.?

Fethiye Çetin, attorney representing Dink family

?Threats against Agos newspaper became most frequent during discussions of the ?Genocide Bill' in the U.S. Congress. The next trial in the Dink case will take place on Feb. 11. I am not hopeful about the case.?

#2 11-11-2008 16:47:17

Louise Kiffer
@rmenaute

Re: Darkness to reunite with the hope of light

D'après le roman "Neige" d'Orhan Pamuk, l'obscurité est encore très grande dans l'ensemble de la Turquie, le faible rayon d'espoir vient de quelques intellectuels qui sont allés en Amérique ou en Europe et d'autres Turcs éclairés, mais ils sont peu nombreux et bien courageux...

#3 18-12-2008 10:47:35

Louise Kiffer
@rmenaute

Re: Darkness to reunite with the hope of light

Critiquée de son vivant, l?action de Hrant Dink fait aujourd?hui figure de phare et de source de « courage ». Une partie de l?intelligentsia turque alliant les minorités, les milieux droit-de-l?hommistes et multiculturalistes se sont désormais approprié Agos, le « sillon » tracé par Dink, autour de son nouveau rédacteur en chef Etyen Mahçupyan. Un groupe formé d?étudiants d?origines diverses (Arméniens, Alévis, Kurdes et Turcs), ainsi que d?artistes et d?intellectuels de Turquie devait notamment commémorer le premier anniversaire de son assassinat, en prêtant leur voix pour la lecture de 19 articles (19 : par référence au 19 janvier) signés de Hrant Dink. Entre le 4 et le 20 janvier, les versions audio de ces articles devaient être lues lors de manifestations itinérantes entre l?Europe et les Etats-Unis, en anglais et en français. Enfin, si les Arméniens demeurent encore ébranlés un an après sa mort tragique, les avis divergent quant au sens à lui donner. Pour une large partie de l?opinion arménienne, son assassinat est la preuve que « la Turquie n?a pas changé », voire que l?utopie d?une Turquie meilleure est aussi illusoire que dangereuse pour ceux qui y croient. Une perspective largement partagée dans les milieux politiques, sensibles à la multiplication des violences anti-chrétiennes. Reste une autre frange non négligeable de l?opinion, notamment parmi les jeunes générations et les milieux artistiques, pour lesquels la posture humaniste et pédagogique de Hrant Dink a laissé entrevoir désormais la possibilité, sinon la nécessité du dialogue arméno-turc. La « méthode Dink » fera-t-elle école ?

Varoujan Sarkisian, avec Vilma Kouyoumdjian, Jilda Hacikoglu et Zmrouthe Aubozian  (France-Arménie)

Pied de page des forums

Droits de reproduction et de diffusion réservés
© Nouvelles d'Arménie Magazine / www.armenews.com -